Sunday, April 11, 2010

Blog Revival

I decided I should start blogging again, and my newly finished sweater seems like a good project to talk about for this revival.

A family friend brought some yarn back from New Zealand for me, and I wanted to make a sweater dress out of the golden-yellow tweedy DK yarn. I couldn't find any pattern I liked with the right gauge, so I set out to design it myself.

I made a swatch to find stitches per inch and played around with a few cable and lace patterns for the center design. I settled on a motif I adapted from the Sculptured Lace Scarf from Interweave Knits Spring 2009.


My idea for the dress changed a bit from my original sketch - I started ribbing at the waist, but there was still a lot of positive ease at that point and the ribbing looked weird, so I ripped it back and made it more of an A-line shape. I also opted for a vest style instead of the capped sleeves. I had to add bust (and back) decreases near the top to get the fit I wanted in the end, but it ended up looking great (in my opinion).

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see you blogging again! That sweater dress looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete